Sunday, September 16, 2012

Getting started...

I've been fortunate to participate in several cooperative mosaic projects.   Last year I participated in a project by Eve Lynch in Ft. Myers.  She put out a call to mosaic artists worldwide to send mosaic butterflies on mesh to be installed in her "Butterfly Cloud" at the Calusa Nature Center.  What a fantastic project!!! Invited several friends to come over... and we all made butterflies for the project!  
Then... I saw on Facebook that the Colorado Mosaic Artists group had a similar project!   Their project "On a Wing and a Prayer" was another round of inspiration and I wanted to try something in our area.

We are involved in the music part of the festivals at the Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts in Barberville, FL... and I'd wanted to do some sort of mosaic there so we decided to make a community butterfly project... encourage visitors to help...  and install them on the pottery building for all to share! 

Several weeks ago the settlement had it's annual open house so they set up a tent and table for me.. and I took lots of "stuff" for folks to choose from... set up the patterns under mesh... and jumped in!  :)
Everyone did a GREAT job... and we made almost 30 butterflies that day!!!
Aren't they beautiful!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment